Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Investments

Where do you invest your time? Your money?

People these days are investing in everything from stocks, bonds, and the money market. It's all about investing your time and money in what's going to benefit you. However, the gospel speaks to the exact opposite. We are called to invest our time, money and talents into others and sharing the love of Christ to others around us and in this world. 

Lately I've been trying to figure out a way to make a Bible study work that I want to offer to my small group girls. I've been hit with some challenges, and nothing has worked out yet. I've found myself annoyed and frustrated and almost upset with God for not working it out in a timely manner. He quickly got that emotion calmed down and I found myself just asking for him to show me how to stay invested with those girls in practical ways. 

He showed me that little things like investing my time, my money and my talents into their lives and making it known to them that I care about what's going on with them can have a greater effect than a lot of things that happen in a building or amongst a study.

I didn't really realize the impact that these things would have on me or these girls, but what God is doing is so amazing. Take today for example. I saw my calendar as I was getting ready, but I didn't realize what all was going on until I got into the rhythm of the day.

Date number one was lunch. I've planned to spend at least one lunch per week with one of my girls. I don't have everything organized yet, but I hit the ground running with this. Today was Abby's day. I headed off to her school and met up with her for lunch...what I didn't know is that a few girls who I hadn't gotten to talk to yet also have lunch at the same time, so my one-girl lunch quickly turned into this...


I think the Lord just took it into his own hands and it's blown up into something I can't even take credit for. We had an absolutely wonderful time. I swear there's nothing better.

Once work was over, I headed to pick up date number two: Tiffany. She is such a sweet girl. I work with both of her parents and they've been sharing some concerns about her and her relationship with God and asked if I would mind just talking to her. I was more than happy to talk, so I went and picked her up and took her to dinner. 


We had a great conversation about God, what heaven will  be like, and even if animals will be in heaven. While we were leaving a man came up to us and told us how great it was to hear us talking about such spiritual things and told us he would pray for us. God definitely showed up there. 

And to end this day, I left church with a cool high schooler, Morgan. She and I have been talking about boys, friends and the trials of being a Christ follower in high school. We had some great conversation late into the evening and it was great to hear her claim the name of God as a fifteen year old girl. I didn't think to get a picture because we were so deep into conversation. 

As I am sitting here writing this, I am in awe of how much I loved this day. I spent time investing in these girls lives...my time, my money and my talents are being sacrificed for others, and is completely giving God all the glory. It's absolutely amazing and I am humbled that he would use me in such a big way.

Investing is huge, and a big decision. So, I must ask...where or what are you investing? 


No comments:

Post a Comment