Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Tears in His Bottle

"You have kept count of my tossings;
put my tears in your bottle."
-Psalm 56:8

I came across this verse tonight as I was searching for comfort.
I thought it was sort of ironic, but God didn't.

The compassion within it struck my core. Also, the choice of words. "Bottle" is actually in the Bible? And "tears in your bottle"-seriously? That's a bit hopeless-romantic, huh? As my wonderings lingered, I got into some other translations and they agreed with ESV. 

God puts our tears in His bottle.

It was a good reminder months ago when talking with a dear friend who was going through a hard divorce.  God knows her tossings, and not one of them has fallen in vain.

It's a good reminder as I'm single. Lonely, hurting nights are not spent alone. God is near to my broken-heart and takes notice of my pain.

It's encouraging to remember for a friend who has dealt with losing a loved one. 

Or deep sin.
Or doubt.
Or waiting.

It's soothing to my pain. Knowing God cares about my tears doesn't solve, or satisfy my questions, but it lends a compassionate, calming feeling that is a gift beyond words. It, too, is freeing. I don't have to wonder if what I'm going through, or what they're going through, is without thoughtful care or counsel. It's compelled with hope. 

We are loved and sought-out and seen by God in every passing moment. This brings life. In the midst of tossing, we can find joy-not because God makes us happy, but because God is one who cares and commits his life to saving ours and rescuing us from our sorrows and pain...even as we fill His bottle.


1 comment:

  1. “If I can bring Him nothing but my tears, He will put them with His own tears in His own bottle, for He once wept; if I can bring Him nothing but my groans & sighs, He will accept these as an acceptable sacrifice, for He once was broken in heart, & sighed heavily in spirit. I myself, standing in Him, am accepted in the Beloved; & all my polluted works, though in themselves only objects of divine abhorrence, are so received, that God smelleth a sweet savour.”
    — Charles Haddon Spurgeon

    ReplyDelete