Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Memories.

Today I was at work and got a hectic phone call from my aunt. "Help...help...help!" I replied, "what is the matter?", thinking something was actually wrong. "I just got my iPhone and I need help working this thing." With a sigh of relief I laughed and told her I'd be over after work to help.

Soon after that phone call I got to her house to be greeted by my cousins, Garret and Grace. They were playing and watching television, but put them on hold to hug and kiss "Abb." I then spent the next hour and a half or so setting up my aunt's phone. Who would have thought I'd be doing that?!

Once her Gmail was working and all iCal calendars were synced, we settled down to have dinner. I sat and talked with my uncle and cousins, and helped Garrett with some homework. I said good night to Grace and helped her get her pajamas on and cuddled into a perfectly pink room. I went to say good night to Jackson and instead I got a quick hug and kiss and was hurried into iPhone, iPod, Apple conversation and what I thought about him saving to get a new one. Once we discussed his awesome plan I went to say good night to Garrett. He asked about an app on my phone and we began testing it. I turned around, looking for something unique for him to photograph, and found this:
Meet Sergio. He has been in my family since before I came into the world. He belonged to my grandparents and was given to Garrett once they passed away. He sat in the corner and took up the entire rocking chair. I saw him and was instantly flooded with memory...Memory of being a small child and cuddling up to Sergio. I was reminded of his soft arms and how they used to wrap all they way around me. I remembered feeling so small when I saw him, but after twenty three years, that feeling is no longer tangible.

In that moment I was thankful. I was thankful for wonderful memories of my childhood and my grandparents. I was thankful for remembering what it feels like to be a kid. I was thankful that Sergio is still the comfort and joy of the five year old me.

Garrett and I sat down on his bed as he flipped through edits on Sergio. It's moments like that I pray he'll remember and that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment