Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Glorious Day

Do you ever have those mornings where you're absolutely sure you've just started a bad day? That was this morning. I woke up an hour late. I was already stressed out enough, and this was the icing on the cake. It was a morning where I knew everything that was going to happen but anticipating it had a whole different effect on me. Despite all the anxiety and stress I freshened up and headed off to church as I perfected my "make-up in the car" skills.

I arrived just in time. I went and sat with my small group...my girls. I've written about them many times before, and if you know me well, then you know what they mean to me. Today was their last Sunday in the children's ministry. It was almost two years ago when our journey started, and as excited as I am for what's to come, it was a bittersweet morning. Instead of my usual seat on the end, I sat behind them and watched as the worshiped the Lord. Like always, a few of them turned around and waved at me. It took everything I had to compose the tears. I went to our classroom right before they were dismissed and stood in the doorway to greet them as always. They ran in and grabbed a prayer request and began writing away...


As I sat there and tried to take roll, it made me sad that this time for us all was coming to an end...but the prayer requests started to stack up and I came back from la-la land.


Once the girls started to chat and finish up requests, I decided to throw the lesson to the curb and just sit with these wonderful beings and talk. We got comfy in the floor and got real about what we've had, what God's got in store for us and how we were all feeling. It was beautiful. God blessed our last moments of the 4th grade girls. They kept saying, "Ms. Abbey, shouldn't you be crying?" and. "Why aren't you crying? You always cry." I think the Lord allowed the humor to take over my sadness because it was a time of laughter, memories and something I'll never forget. We (attempted) to snap a photo or two before they were dismissed and with hugs, tender words and affirmation that our journey had just begun, they were off.



Oh, how I love them.
Thank you, Lord, for the blessing of these wonderful girls.

I continued to compose myself and went about my morning, also remembering that a dear friend was coming back into the states after being in the Dominican Republic for 6 weeks. I shared a little about Michael here back in June when he left, asking for prayers for his time of serving. A friend walked down the hallway and told me he was here, and as I saw him I instantly went up and gave him the biggest hug.  


He handed me a bracelet that he brought back for me, and it hasn't left my arm all day.
He is crazy, and nothing like me.
But I love him dearly and he'll forever be my brother.

I let him get to seeing more people and I got a nice surprise as I walked to hallway. I had known that Pastor Tomas and Sonia and their son, Cristopher, from La Represa, were going to be visiting the states. I was caught off guard because as I turned the corner, I see a huge smile on Sonia's face and before I can blink I am embraced in a huge hug from her. It was the best feeling. I said hello and gave a hug to Pastor Tomas, and began to talk about our church, their easy travels and life happenings back in my home. Hearing them say my name and knowing they remember me and think of me and pray for me is the most humbling experience. Even their son, Cristopher, was asking for me and seeking me out. He finally found me and again I was greeted with a huge grin and hug.


 Lord, I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to see them, hear them speak to the congregation and feel at home for the first time in a long time. Thank you for letting me have the chance to catch up with my family members. I pray nothing but blessing for them.


As I sit here in bed writing this, I am just in awe of what God did today. I woke up, feeling awful, stressed and anxious. I sit here now and I can do nothing but thank, praise and glorify God for this wonderful day. I am worthy of nothing but death and yet He chooses to bless me! It's amazing. It's humbling. I am just astounded at my God. 

"Living, He loved me, dying, He saved me,
Buried, He carried my sins far away.
Rising, He justified, freely forever,
One day He's coming...
Oh, glorious day."

No comments:

Post a Comment