Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

What's it Worth?

If you knew me a few years ago I  looked like a different person. If you had met me then I would have looked, acted, spoke and thought differently. I was a nice person, but I was not the same. I found my value in things of this world and all that mattered was worth nothing. I was in a horrible relationship that was situationally comfortable and something that gave me worth and meaning, and everything any woman could ever dream of was at my fingertips. Exotic vacations, expensive clothing and accessories, a high-priced vehicle, living expenses and so much more became a custom to me. In most people's eyes,  I "had it all."

But what I was missing was Christ. I was finding my worth in a person, in possessions and status. I had everything, yet nothing all at the same time. A terrifying and eye-opening moment opened my eyes to God, and it was like he was sitting there next to me, asking me when I was going to let go of all this worthless stuff and let him have my heart. Praise you, God, for rescuing me from that pit of despair.

That was almost three years ago,  and I can remember it like yesterday. There's a lot from that time in my life I can recall and I think the Lord allows that so I can remember where I was and how he saved me. It's there to help other girls and women, and it reminds me of how truly good our God is.

This morning I was reminded of all of this and was compelled to write. I met up with a friend at a nearby coffee shop. I had recently posted on our church's women's site about an interesting fundraiser I am in the process of and she was willing to contribute to the cause:
    
I am selling all of my old, expensive possessions. All these name brand, high-retail items mean a lot to some people and that's okay to an extent, but to me they mean nothing. They remind me of bondage, pain and searching for a God I now have...so, I am selling every single item. What's even better is that every dollar is going toward funding a new ministry project I am working on that God is fully leading. And I couldn't be more excited about it and what God's doing in and with it. 

My sisters, He can use ANYTHING for good.
He is good, and faithful, and worthy of ALL praise and worship.
So I am graciously letting go of all these things, but sharing the story as they go.

Grab on to him, my sisters. He's always there, and is happy to see you.

"In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help. 
From his temple he heard my voice,
and my cry to him reached his ears.
He brought me out into a broad place;
he rescued me, because he delighted in me."
-Psalm 18:6, 19

No comments:

Post a Comment