Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Army Strong & Gone

It baffles me how fast the last six months went by. I remember after my brother enlisted and he told me we had six months until he left. I remember thinking we had all the time in the world...and the next thing I know it's August.

I can't believe it's already time for him to leave. Church flew by this morning. Maybe because with every person I saw and every time someone asked me how I was I had to hold back tears. I went straight home as soon as I could. I knew he came home today after spending his last week with his friends in Knoxville. I was home cleaning, I heard the door open and heard "Abb?" I just smiled because I knew he was home. We had to get things in order for all the family to come over for his going away party, but I was looking forward to just being with him. We went to the store, grabbed some coffee and dinner and headed back to the house.

Before I knew it my house was full of family. Everywhere I looked there were tons of people. It was crazy but I loved how despite our differences we came together to support Matt.


Every branch of the military represented!


 I tried my hardest not to get upset. I tried to enjoy my family and the time we all were blessed to have with Matt. I walked into the kitchen and saw some sweet mementos that my Mom had laid out.


 There were pictures he had drawn as a child, younger pictures of him, and little things celebrating his joining the Army. I just stood there and it hit me.

My little brother, one of my best friends, is leaving tomorrow morning and even though I am sad and worried I must have faith and trust God. God will protect him and God will sustain him. God will get me through this. God will give us time to talk, see each other and communicate. God is bigger than my worries or distrust.

I kept looking at the table full of sweet memories, and at the end sat this:


 It's then that God captured my spirit in this situation. It seemed like he just whispered into my ear and told me that he was going to take care of my little brother. He reminded me of the special times we were blessed to have over the last few months and that our relationship will not suffer, but grow stronger through this difficult time. He told me that he has a great plan for Matt's life and I need to trust him to do what his word promises.

He reminded me that we are a family...


...and that my brother will always be my brother.

Now he's just army strong.



 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
 I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.
You will not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness
nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.

A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will only look with your eyes
and see the recompense of the wicked.

Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place—
the Most High, who is my refuge—
no evil shall be allowed to befall you,
no plague come near your tent.

For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways.
On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.
You will tread on the lion and the adder;
the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.

“Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my name.
When he calls to me, I will answer him
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”


 Psalm 91



No comments:

Post a Comment