Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Bucket List

I am not one of those people who write out a list of what I'm going to do before I die. I could care less about climbing Mt. Everest or jumping out of a plane. But recently, I've been thinking about some things that I truly desire to do in this lifetime. Some are in the works, and some might never happen, but a girl can dream. Thought I'd share what I've got written down.

1. Move.
I know, you are probably thinking, "what?" Well let me explain. I've lived in the same town for almost 25 years. Murfreesboro is great and has been great. It's a wonderful town to grow up in and has been great for my childhood, adolescence and college years. However, due to growing up and becoming an adult, I am looking for something more. I need to get out of my comfort zone and go somewhere that isn't so familiar. I'm open to anywhere. A new state, a new town, 45 minutes or 4 hours. Whatever the Lord wants to do is what I'm okay with. Time will tell, I guess.

2. Write a book.
If you know me well or follow my blog, you know how I feel about writing. It's my thing. It's rare to find me without a journal (or two) in my purse, or blogging from my iPhone. I've thought about writing a book for a while now. Only until recently, it's been just a thought. I'm still trying to figure out the exact message and direction I want for it, so it's a work in progress.

3. Adopt a child.
Children are my absolute world. I can remember being very young and if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I'd answer with "a mommy." In recent years, I have wanted a husband more than children, but children are definitely a desire. God has shown me the beauty of being a parent outside of how he designed it and the blessing it can be. I've seen so many friends adopt children who were in need of love and care and some weren't married. It's not the path that I'd choose, but if God gave me the option to adopt a child I know I'd do it. I love children like they're my own, and I know that adoption is something I'd be lucky to experience.

4. Spend a month (or more) overseas.
I've spent a lot of time doing mission work outside of the US. I've loved every single minute of it but I haven't gotten to experience it for a lengthy amount of time. I want to go somewhere I've never been, meet new people, experience new things and grow. It's so hard to grow when you're around the same people, same places, same things. I learn so much about myself and about the Lord when I'm outside of my comfort zone and I long for that. You can hear him speak so clearly and it's hard to hear him in the hustle and bustle of this world. So, I want to get out for a long time and just see what this world has to offer. And maybe help someone else along the way.

5. Go back to the Dominican Republic.
If you haven't read about how I feel about the Dominican, click here to read about my time spent there. That place and those people have my whole heart. I've never experienced anything more wonderful or more beautiful in my entire life. Being a part of what God is doing there is nothing but a blessing and I thank the Lord often for them and what he taught me while I was there. I don't know if I ever will get the chance to go back, but I pray I will.

Well, there's my list.
There's not much to it, but there's a lot of heart within it.

No comments:

Post a Comment