Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Photo Canvas Tutorial

I've seen multiple tutorials online and all over Pinterest and I decided to do one of my own. I've used tissue paper photos many times, but never have loved the outcome of the canvas. So here's my tutorial on using a real photo. Enjoy, and try it out for yourself!

Supplies needed:
~ a couple of paint brushes (I prefer sponge for this one)
~ Modge Podge (Available at craft stores)
~ Scissors or paper cutter
~Scrapbook paper
~ Canvas
~Black paint
~ One beautiful picture 
(I had two of some because I was making two at the time.)


Make sure your photo fits on the canvas.
I wanted mine to line up to edge as close as possible 
so it looked more like it was a canvas and not a photo.

Put a layer of Modge Podge all over the canvas.
Top side and all edges.
Let it sit for 10 minutes to dry.

Cut strips of scrapbook paper to fit the edge of the canvas.

Cover the edges of the canvas with another layer of Modge Podge.

Put a layer of Modge Podge on each strip of paper.

Place each strip on the edge of the canvas.
Smooth out all bubbles. It may take you a few strokes to get it right.
Repeat on all four sides.

I tried to cut the length to fit perfectly, and used extra to overlap if needed. 
Let it dry before starting the next step.

Add a layer of Modge Podge to the top of the canvas.

Place the photo on the top of the canvas.
I used a towel to wipe out bubbles to not fingerprint the photo.

Once you get it placed, let it dry for 20 minutes.

Once it's dry, paint a thick layer of Modge Podge over the photo 
and every edge of the canvas. 
Don't worry if it's white-it dries clear.

Once it's dry, begin to place paint on the edge where the photo meets the paper.
I wanted a more black, antique look so I wiped my brush off to make sure I didn't use too much.
You can always add more paint if needed.
Sponge brushes also are best because of the look you get from the sponge.

 Finish the painting, fill in the white spots, and VOILA! 


 A great, easy, cheap, homemade gift that anyone will love!

No comments:

Post a Comment