Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Girls & the Gospel

If you follow my blog at all, you've heard me talk about my small group girls.
I write about them often and am thankful for what they've brought to my life.

For the last few years they've brought me so much joy.
We've talked and learned about God and his word, and shared life as we've grown as a group. 
If they have shared anything with me it's been very surface level.
Friends, family and maybe some boy-talk but nothing more...

...until tonight.

I had dinner at church like I do every week. 
Once it's over I head over to where we have our services 
and hang out with my girls.

I was standing there talking when one of my girls came up to me.
She looked upset and I asked her what was up, and she replied with, "Ms. Abbey, I need to talk."
She began to tell me about how she was sad because her ex-boyfriend wasn't talking to her and it made her sad. I was blown away by her emotion, and began to remind of her of why I encourage them not to date and that his reasons for breaking up were good reasons. I told her that they both needed to talk, apologize for being rude to one another and agree to be friends. We hugged and she went off to talk to him.
 I watched them interact, saw them agree to be friends and a huge smile came across my face as she ran back to me and said they were friends.
Thank you, Father, for the wisdom you give me to pour into her.

As I sat glowing in her happiness, I got a text from another one of my girls that tore my heart to pieces.
"Ms. Abbey, I need advice. I'm being bullied at school."

This broke my heart.
We began to talk about how she's bullied, who the girls were, and what to do about it.
After about two hours of texts, she said she felt better and I reminded her of God's truth and what he says about us. She thanked me and told me she would call me tomorrow.

As I drove home, tears streamed down my face.
I love these girls like they are my own and it breaks my being that they have pain in their lives.
I can remember being in the 5th-6th grade and dealing with the same issues, 
but it's so different in today's time. 

We talk about boys, bullies, and other huge topics, but now they are coming to me, sharing their issues and trusting in me for truth and guidance. As heart breaking as it is, I am thanking the Lord for the opportunity to talk to them and pour truth into them. I can tell them what God says about who they are and what they should do according to his word. How amazing is that!

I can sit here and be boastful in myself for doing well, 
but what I must do is give all the glory and thanks to God. 
He is using me to bless and help others and it is incredible.

What the girls don't understand is that they are blessing me more than they could ever imagine.
Thank you, Lord, for you....are....good.

1 comment: