Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Good Enough for Me

I am currently 24 years, 7 months and 27 days old.
Five years ago, I wrote in my journal that by now I'd have
graduated college,
married the love of my life,
and either have or getting ready to have my first child.

Well Abbey of 19 years, I am so sorry to disappoint.
What's funny is I hear this ALL the time.

According to a lot of people, I "should" be
married, 
with a career,
and have children.
Oh, and a white-picket fence.

Let me just throw out some thought on this...

First, there is nothing wrong with where I am at in life.
I love where I am, what I'm doing and I am open to anything that happens.
I know the Lord has me in the season to teach me something 
and my heart is completely open to what He has. 

Second, when it comes to school, I will eventually finish.
School has never been a priority for me. 
My goals in life were never to go to college. I went because it was the "thing to do."
I will eventually finish, but it's not what I desire for my life.

Next, as far as a man goes, that is completely up to the Lord.
I have always desired to have a truly good man in my life.
I've been blessed to date some great guys, and been saved from some awful ones.
If I ever find a man it's because it's what God wants and it's in his timing.

And last, there's children.
The only thing I've ever wanted in life is to be a mother.
God has graciously shown me ways of motherhood that aren't means of giving birth.
There are hundreds of children in this town that I get to love on and minister to
and that's been a bigger blessing than I could have ever asked for.
And beyond this, if the Lord doesn't choose to bless me with my own children,
I know there's always the option to adopt one of his to call my own and that in itself is wonderful.

All in all, this was venting, but more than that it's truth.
In the broad scheme of life, I (nor you) am not defined by job, husband, family, kids, etc.
I am defined in the eyes of the Father.

And that's good enough for me.


3 comments:

  1. I met my husband around your age and married at 26. I was also pregnant 7 months later.Got pregnant again when my son was 7 months old. Just adopted a two year old from China and started fostering two teenage sisters. We have been married 6.5 year and have 5 wonderful children that God was blessed us with! My husband is the type of man that I can't even describe. He loved (and still does) love God above all else. I see myself in your post and want to encourage you to keep the faith. Women like yourself are rare and hard to find- the Bible tells us! Your Prince will never let you go once he finds you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I think is funny about where people think you should be is that when I tell people I'm 25, married (almost) four years and have a 20 month old (and stay at home with her), they look at me as though I'm insane. According to them, I'm too young to be where I am, and most people my age are out "having fun". You gotta love other's perspectives when their not in your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautifully written. I remember writing something like that in high school. We put it in a sealed envelope for years later. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete