Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Keeping the Old

I was in Girl Scouts when I was little. 
We used to sing this song 
and as I started to write this post it came back to me...

"Make new friends, 
but keep the old.
One is silver 
and the other gold."

Keeping old friends...
it can be hard to do, but it's worth it to try and continue friendships.
This week was a reminder of how rewarding it is.

I got a call from a friend, Georgia, this week that brought a huge smile to my face.
He said he was in town for work for the week and wanted to meet up for dinner.

A little history on us...
We met during the summer of 2005 when I graduated high school and got a job at Hobby Lobby.
He was the older, hotter guy that would flirt like crazy.
I was the young, naive girl who loved a cute boy.
We spend a few years working together and going to school together 
and becoming really good friends.
Two years ago, he moved away and for the last two years we've kept in touch.

Back to this week...
We decided to meet up at a town favorite for dinner.
I found myself nervous at the fact that I hadn't seen him in two years, 
but was confident due to the amount of phone calls and texts.
The moment he walked in the door I knew it would be fine.
We sat down and began a close to three hour conversation 
of work, love and our crazy, busy lives.

It was wonderful to see him and catch up, 
but more heart-warming that after all these years
we're still friends.

It was a great night, but it reminded me that keeping friendships alive takes work.
For so long we lived in the same town, but now it takes a little more effort to stay in touch.
We may go weeks without talking, but when we do, we pick up right where we left off.

Just remember, if you love someone enough to let them into your life,
then you have to work to keep them there.




No comments:

Post a Comment